Chromium Picolinate Benefits, Side Effects, Dosage 2021
Chromium picolinate is the form of chromium commonly found in dietary supplements. It may be effective at improving the body’s response to insulin or lowering blood sugar in those with diabetes. What’s more, it may help reduce hunger, cravings, and binge eating.
Chromium Picolinate Properties
- Improves performance in athletes.
- It can help improve mild depression, certain eating disorders, or reduce anxiety.
- It could help in the treatment of polycystic ovaries.
- Positive effects on the immune system.
Known for being a nutritional supplement that helps prevent chromium deficiency in the body, we tell you everything you need to know about chromium picolinate and its consumption.
In the search to improve physical performance, millions of athletes worldwide have turned to the now-famous nutritional supplements to supplement their diet to improve their condition. This is how chromium picolinate began to become known in the fitness field, although many still do not know its properties and why they should consume it.
What is it really? What are its pros and cons? Well, here we tell you. For starters, chromium picolinate gets its name from the compound made from picolinic acid and chromium. Its function? It is basically used to prevent chromium deficiency in the body and facilitate its access to cell membranes.
Considered an essential mineral for man, chromium plays an important role in the lives of all people because thanks to it improve the metabolism of carbohydrates. In turn, chromium helps keep blood glucose levels stable, although it is also true that it stabilizes cholesterol levels in the body.
As far as is known, chromium predominates in natural sources. What does this mean? Well, we find it in meat, seafood, eggs, wheat germ, and other derived foods that contribute to leading a healthy life. Although it is not fully confirmed, some studies have shown that chromium reduces bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases good (HDL).
What is picolinate for?
In short, picolinic acid acts as a chelator for chromium. This means that it transports chromium so that it can enter cell membranes and thus improve insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism since its absence in our body would attract a greater risk of diabetes, heart problems, or even hyperglycemia.
That said, and have already mentioned the main foods that contain chromium, we are going to tell you about some of the benefits of this mineral. Do you want to know what other properties the popular chromium picolinate has? Look at the following relationship and draw your own conclusions about whether or not you should start using it
Chromium picolinate benefits
– Improves performance in athletes
– Helps in treating polycystic ovaries
– Positively intervenes in the immune system
– Helps prevent cardiovascular problems
– Improves mild depression and some eating disorders
– Reduces anxiety in people
What are the recommended doses of chromium picolinate?
Depending on the pace of life of each person, the doses of chromium picolinate vary considerably. In the fitness world, for example, chromium helps reduce the desire to eat sweets, in addition to regulating the level of insulin in our body, stabilizing fat loss.
In general, the daily recommendations for chromium range between 40 and 200 micrograms. However, if you do intense physical activity in the gym or wherever, the amount should be higher. Bodybuilders, for instance, typically take two 200-microgram capsules a day.
Chromium picolinate side effects
Finally, just as it is true that chromium picolinate can be very beneficial for athletes, it is also true that a bad consumption or excessive consumption of it triggers a series of problems or side effects that could put you at risk. Your Health.
If the recommended dose of chromium picolinate is exceeded -and by far- in our body, users of this supplement could suffer a breakdown of their muscular tissue. The latter, especially, in those that exceed 1200 micrograms per day.
Along the same lines, other athletes have suffered dizziness, headaches, skin irritation, mood swings, nausea, and even coordination failure just for having exceeded the 600 micrograms daily dose. To close, always remember to consult with your doctor before starting to consume any food supplement.
Likely Effective for
- Chromium deficiency. Taking chromium by mouth is effective for preventing chromium deficiency.
Possibly Effective for
- Diabetes. Taking chromium picolinate may lower fastingblood sugar, insulin levels, and blood fats in some people with type 2 diabetes. Higher chromium doses might work better than lower doses. Chromium supplements might work best in people with low chromium levels. Chromium picolinate might also benefit people with type 1 diabetes, people who have diabetes as a result of steroid treatment, and people with diabetes during pregnancy. Chromium might also help prevent diabetes, but research is limited.
Possibly Ineffective for
- Prediabetes. Most research shows that taking chromium does not help control blood sugar levels in people with prediabetes.
- Schizophrenia. Research shows that taking 400 mcg of chromium daily for 3 months does not affect weight or mental health in people with schizophrenia.
Insufficient Evidence for
- Insulin resistance caused by drugs used to treat HIV/AIDS (antiretroviral-induced insulin resistance). Early research shows that taking chromium nicotinate or chromium picolinate daily for 8-16 weeks might help reduce insulin resistance in HIV patients receiving antiretroviral therapy.
When taken by mouth: Chromium is LIKELY SAFE for most adults in medicinal amounts, short-term. Up to 1000 mcg per day of chromium has been used safely for up to 6 months. When taken by mouth in these doses for longer periods of time, chromium is POSSIBLY SAFE for most adults. Chromium has been used safely in a small number of studies using doses of 200-1000 mcg daily for up to 2 years.
Some people experience side effects such as skin irritation, headaches, dizziness, nausea, mood changes, impaired thinking, judgment, and coordination. High doses have been linked to more serious side effects including blood disorders, liver or kidney damage, and other problems. It is not known for sure if chromium is the actual cause of these side effects.
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- General: The safe and tolerable upper intake levels of chromium are not known. However, daily adequate intake (AI) levels for chromium have been established: males 14-50 years, 35 mcg; males 51 and older, 30 mcg; females 19-50 years, 25 mcg; females 51 and older, 20 mcg. During pregnancy: 14-18 years, 29 mcg; 19-50 years, 30 mcg. During lactation: 14-18 years, 44 mcg; 19-50 years, 45 mcg.
- For diabetes: In people with type 2 diabetes, 200-1000 mcg of chromium taken daily in single or divided doses has been used. In people with gestational diabetes, 4-8 mcg/kg of chromium picolinate daily for 8 weeks has been used. In people with high blood sugar due to use of corticosteroid medication, 400 mcg of chromium once daily or 200 mcg three times daily has been used.
- General: The safe and tolerable upper intake levels of chromium in children are not known. However, daily adequate intake (AI) levels for chromium have been established by age. In those 0-6 months, 0.2 mcg; 7-12 months, 5.5 mcg; 1-3 years, 11 mcg; 4-8 years, 15 mcg; males 9-13 years, 25 mcg; males 14-18 years, 35 mcg; females 9-13 years, 21 mcg; females 14-18 years, 24 mcg.
What does chromium picolinate do for your body?
It plays a role in how your body breaks down fats and carbohydrates. Chromium picolinate is a supplement that some people take as a complementary and alternative therapy to help a chromium deficiency, control blood sugar levels, lower cholesterol, or lose weight.
When is the best time to take chromium?
Since chromium can interfere with sleep, it’s a good idea to take it in the morning.
How does chromium picolinate help you lose weight?
Chromium is mainly used to stabilize blood sugar. The major role for chromium in weight loss is to correct insulin resistance caused by chromium deficiency.
Does chromium burn fat?
it is not uncommon to see significant weight loss in the first week of a healthy diet that includes chromium. The improvement in metabolic health may shed water and fat more quickly.
Related searches Chromium Picolinate Benefits
- chromium picolinate weight loss reviews
- chromium picolinate dangers
- chromium picolinate bodybuilding
- chromium picolinate 200 mcg
- chromium benefits skin
- chromium picolinate depression
- chromium picolinate for diabetes
- best chromium supplement