What is web companion software, and why do I have it installed on my computer?
You installed it along with another program. It may or may not have had an option to uncheck or decline, and that may or may not have done any good anyway. Either way, their FAQ will blame you for inadvertently installing it but suggest that you should have no trouble uninstalling it.
If you uninstall it, which I highly recommend, it may or may not offer you checkboxes during the uninstallation to change any settings it modified back to normal. After using the uninstaller, check for any leftover program bits that didn’t get removed entirely.
It is nothing but malware software that gets installed along with other software. You were not given options to un-check this installation. It masked you from the installation. It will not let you uninstall as there is no installation program you find in the Appwiz. Highly offensive and violating that such a “program” would enter my hard drive uninvited like a cockroach would a kitchen!
Well, I uninstalled it via my settings> apps & programs, and it abnormally opened an uninstall window option from “it’s” own program, not from windows itself, and then it asked me if I was sure I wanted to uninstall. That was sketchy too. Then it “uninstalled itself.”
Not trusting this, I deleted all files with the web companion or Lavasoft name from the registry, but what if there’s more in the registry that doesn’t have either of those names attached? I don’t know how I would find them.
Sea Passage software
What is web companion software- why do I it installed on my computer?
Web Companion refers to an unwanted program. It is installed as an extension to your existing web browser. The installation takes place without your knowledge and intrudes with the performance of other installed apps. It distributes advertising and shows coupons, banners and links pointing to sponsored sites.
Web Companion is a free tool from Lavasoft, and it supposedly protects internet surfers from malicious websites, data tracking, advertisements, phishing scams, etc. In 2014 it replaced Ad-Aware Security Toolbar and had reached a pretty successful are with users.
When you were clicking “agree” on all the license agreement dialogs, one of those likely had one that looked like that but was a “do you want to install this,” and you clicked agree.
It is likely monitoring what websites you visit and reporting that to earn money for that company. I would probably uninstall it, but if you reply with the name of the software, I could be more sure.
Top Inventory Management Software
Is it safe to uninstall Web Companion?
In addition, if you have been questioning yourself, “should I remove Web companion from the system,” our answer is “yes, you should.”
You can uninstall the app from Windows 7, Windows 10, or other Windows operating systems with the help of the step-by-step guide given below.
What if it installed more spyware files under the main program files?
How did it get in? Isn’t my windows defender supposed to protect me from this?
It looks like I’ll be up for a while sorting all these bugs & bites out!
How to Uninstall?
- Delete the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Lavasoft
- If unable to uninstall, make sure you close the Lavasoft service from the task manager.
- Search and delete all “WebCompanion” entries from the registry editor.
- Better run the Malware-Bytes to remove its registry entries.
Lavasoft has developed this software. It gets into one’s system either indirectly during the installation of other software (as a subpackage) or tempting clicks of its deceitful options.
Simply you can get rid of it =>
- window =>
- search =>
- App & Features =>
- It will show list all the applications =>
- click Web Companion =>
- Uninstall and GO.
Although window Defender has been improved a lot, there is no need to use this for every day and safe use. However, Malware-Byte also acts well against harmful malware.
Is web companion a virus?
No, It is not a virus.
However, many freemium anti-malware programs have distributed some add-on to “protect” browsing by showing ads and hijacking / controlling search. It is not that different from the adware they detect.
E.g., AVG had its “SafeSearch,” avast secure browsing /safe price, and Lavasoft, its web companion.
I think it is quite a bad thing, especially if you get it without adequately understanding its goals. And in most cases, it is getting money from “free,” like changing to the search engine that pays commissions, etc.
What is Adaware Web Companion? How safe is it to have in my laptop?
Web companion adware comes to your pc when you download freeware software from the Internet; it modifies your default search engine in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet explorer.
The biggest threat is modifying your browser settings, controlling the browser, and sending data to its servers.
It always consumes your data, and removing it from Internet explorer is very hard.
You will have to remove from each browser and then uninstall it from pc via program and features.
To remove from the browser, click on settings, click on add ons and extensions, find it, and remove it.
To remove from pc go to control panel, choose program and features find it here and uninstall by double-clicking.
See in the video:
What is an Ad-Aware Web Companion?
The Ad-Aware Web Companion is present on many computers, but very few users have deliberately installed the tool. We will tell you exactly what it is and whether you need the software at all.
The Web Companion is an anti-spyware that should help you keep hijackers and adware away from your PC.
- The Ad-Aware Web Companion from Lavasoft presents itself as the specialist when it comes to browser hijackers.
- Browser hijackers change your browser’s settings and redirect your page views (especially the start page) and search queries in the background to other websites. The browser hijackers exploit security gaps in the browser software.
- The criminal processes take place silently and unobtrusively in the background. As a user, you often don’t notice anything. If you notice irregularities from time to time, it may have caught you.
- Ad-Aware Web Companion is designed to combat the known browser hijackers and delete them from your computer. In addition, the Web Companion should also work preventively.
The Ad-Aware Web Companion is entirely free.
- The manufacturer probably earns money if you have the web search changed on Yahoo / Bing.
- You can change this option at any time in the main menu of the software. Many users are annoyed by the change in the homepage and search engine since this change is announced and can be deactivated during installation but is often overlooked.
- In the past, WebCompanion used Komodia’s controversial SSL interception technology – similar to well-known manufacturers such as Lenovo, to monitor Internet traffic even with encrypted connections.
- This approach was a long controversial software trick to protect the user from malware. After the problem became known, this was stopped and, according to the manufacturer, replaced by a safer solution.
What is web companion software, and why do I have it installed on my computer?
Web Companion refers to an unwanted program. It is installed as an extension to your existing web browser. The installation takes place without your knowledge and intrudes on the performance of other installed apps. It distributes advertising and shows coupons, banners, and links pointing to sponsored sites.
In this article, we will talk about what is Ad-Aware Web Companion, what is Lavasoft Web Companion, how Ad-Aware Web Companion can harm your computer, the ways of uninstalling Web Companion, etc. Read on for a close look at the world of Web Companion.
What is Web Companion?
Attributed to Lavasoft, the Web Companion software program/tool comes free of cost. The most prevalent version of this product is 2.1.1265.2535. More than 54 percent of all installations are using this version currently. Quite commonly used in Germany and the United Kingdom, the Web Companion boasts that 53 percent of its users belong to the United States of America.
The Web Companion protects internet surfers from data tracking, malicious websites, phishing scams, and advertisements. It has managed to replace the popular Ad-Aware Security Toolbar since 2014. Overall, it has created a sound position for itself and has a successful rating regarding user experience.
However, in return for the tool’s promise of ‘secure browsing,’ users have to grapple with the issues of browser hijacking, cunning installation, malicious advertising, and unprompted data tracking. Users and customers have to pay a hefty price for the unsolicited appearance of Web Companion on their web browsers.
On the right side, Web Companion is capable of securing your web browser’s settings against unauthorized changes. It serves as a robust buffering agent between malicious sites and the browser. For instance, Ad-Aware Web Companion claims to provide safer and lighter browsing experiences.
It also claims to complement your antivirus and protect the browser against malware and virus attacks. It does so by flagging malware right at the URL level, even before it gets a chance to download on your computer.
Why is Web Companion Dangerous?
Web Companion – the internet security tool that uses the older HTTP extension for its official website. It does not have HTTPS certificates to its credit. This old extension is marked as “not secure” by most browsers, primarily Google Chrome. In all probability, being a free tool, the program may need more funds to invest in safer encrypting protocols.
Browser hijacking is another problem faced by the users of Webs Companion. Once installed, your default web browser will be changed to Bing. If you replace your old browser the first time, the Web Companion will ask you to change the settings until it stops after the third try.
Earlier on, Lavasoft was known to use Komodia SSL Digester – the feature attributed to the Superfish scandal – in the operation of Web Companion. As per experts, Komodia SSL Digester overpowers your browser’s security. It is designed to read encrypted websites and push advertisements into them.
The most dangerous controversy attributed to webs companion is that its policy states that Lavasoft reserves the right to pass on ‘non-personal’ data of users to third parties. Therefore, anything you post on public platforms cannot be rated as secure and confidential after Web Companion gets installed on your browser. As mentioned earlier, your personal information can be shared with the program’s parent, affiliate companies, and third parties.
Web Companion’s EULA further states that Lavasoft can collect data about your operating system (bit architecture, version, release, etc.). It can come in the way of your installed applications (install source, location, display name, version, etc.). Additionally, it can adversely impact the IP and services on your Windows.
How Does Ad-Aware Web Companion Install Itself on Your Device?
Lavasoft’s Web Companion may have been installed accidentally or intentionally by you. You may have installed the product believing it would ensure safe browsing experiences and protect your system from viral threats, malware, and intrusions. Conversely, you may have installed it without any knowledge of doing so.
Either way, you must face the consequences of having Web Companion installed on your browser.
1. this tool creates a registration start-up point in Windows during setup. It allows for an automatic start as and when you boot your PC.
2. Once installed, Web Companion includes a Windows Service that runs without fail in the background. Manual stopping of the service causes the program to malfunction. A background controller service is also added that runs automatically in the background.
3. It is possible to delay the start of the controller service via the service manager.
4. The Web Companion adds A scheduled task to the Windows Task Scheduler. It launches the program at scheduled times, depending on the release/version).
5. The primary executable is referred to as Lavasoft.AdAware.dll.
6. The program’s setup package is known to install about 58 files that are approximately 11.75 MB (12,316,583 bytes) in size.
7. Most Web Companion users use Windows 7 (SP1) and Windows 10 rather than other operating platforms.
How to Uninstall Web Companion?
It is possible to uninstall the Web Companion virus through the Add/Remove Program feature available in the Control Panel of your Windows Operating System.
1. Click on the Start menu (Windows 10 users can right-click on the screen’s bottom-left corner to activate the Start Menu).
2. Click on the Control Panel option, then find Programs.
3. Perform either of the following tasks
- Windows Vista/7/8/10 users: Click on “Uninstall a Program.”
- Windows XP users: Click on “Add or Remove Programs.”
4. Once you find the installed Web Companion program, click to choose it.
5. Perform one of the following options:
- Windows Vista/7/8/10 users: Click on Uninstall.
- Windows XP users: Click on the “Remove or Change/Remove” option (found on the right-hand side of the program).
6. Go on following the prompts.
7. You will see a progress bar that will tell you the time left for uninstalling Web Companion.
You must know how to terminate Web Companion Lavasoft to avoid its potential dangers. However, as per statistics, only 20 percent of users uninstall this program. Isn’t that surprising? Even though it provides for the additional detection of malware and malicious sites, it is recommended that you uninstall it for the safety of your data. Remember, most antivirus programs like this one are sophisticated enough; they have the right tools and designs to update their databases consistently with your records. Beware.
Fortunately, you can easily remove Ad-Aware Web Companion by logging into the Programs section of the Control Platform. Its Uninstall button will help you go about the activities smoothly. You can also take care of overriding your current web browser with Bing by going through a few steps. You can opt for automatic malware removal apps like Reimage, Malwarebytes, Spyhunter, or others in the list, to go about the activities smoothly.
Whatever you do, remember Lavasoft Web Companion shouldn’t be allowed to remain on your PC longer than required – it will do you much more harm than good!